Roof damage is unlikely to be something you think about until there is an obvious problem. High winds are a common cause of roof damage. Wind damage can often go unnoticed and cause extensive damage that will require expensive repairs.
Wind damage can be avoided by being proactive about your repairs and inspections. How do you tell if your roof has been damaged by high winds? Let’s look at the most common signs of wind damage, and how different winds can impact your roof.
Are there signs of wind damage to your roofing?
Because they are exposed to extreme weather conditions, residential roofs are more susceptible to wind damage. Although most wind damage is to your roofing’s edge, it is possible to damage any other part of your roof. High winds can easily target roofs that are older, have lost shingles, or have minor damage.
It’s best that you call an inspector if your roof has been damaged by a storm or high winds. Here are some ways to inspect for damage to your roof:
- Take a walk around your house when you are safe.
- Take a look at the points around your roof to see the exterior.
- You should look out for missing, curled, peeling or damaged shingles. Also, look out for damage to the chimney, granule loss and damage from debris.
- After inspecting the exterior of your house, check for signs of roof damage indoors. Check your ceilings and attic. You may have a leaky roof if you see wet spots, peeling paint or yellow or brown discoloration.
Contact your roofing company immediately if you notice any damage or suspect that there is an issue.
What do different wind speeds have on your roof?
The speed of wind can vary greatly from one storm to another. Even the smallest gust of wind can cause roof damage. Property damage is more common as wind speed increases. Here are some ways wind speeds can affect your property.
- 45-55 MPH – Winds can cause damage to trees and other debris. You can also have shingles removed from your roof by it.
- 55-75 MPH – Winds can knock down trees or rip off shingles.
- 75+ MPH – Often, winds cause extensive tree damage which significantly impacts roofs. Commercial roofs are more resilient than residential ones and can also be damaged.
You can repair even major roof damage if you act fast. You should be looking out for signs of damage to your roofing. If you see any, contact a professional roofer immediately.
A Old Time Roofing offers a free inspection
Old Time roofing is committed to offering affordable and prompt service whenever you need it most. It’s important to evaluate your roof for damage after a windstorm. Call us today to schedule a free roof inspection.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing which is the premier Clear water Roofing Companies Contractor! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.